During this week, we were challenged to analyze ourselves as communicators. After taking the quizzes that analyzed my anxiety, verbal aggressiveness, and listening skills. The quizzes confirmed what I already knew and perceived about myself based off self-reflection and feedback over the years from close friends abd family.
I am great at public speaking and a true extrovert that has low anxiety in moments of expressing my opinions or beliefs to another individual or group. However, I sometimes can come off a little brash in my communication based on tone, body language, and language utilized that makes me somewhat verbally assertive/aggressive. This impacts my listening skills as well because until recently, I listened to respond and not to understand or expand my personal beliefs of opinions.
My two best friends of 10 years took the quizzes as well as rated me almost exactly as I did whennit cammto anxiety and verbal aggressiveness. However, I was rated much lowet in listening skills from them because they saw me as not truly showing empathy or understanding to people that conflict with my personal belief systems. This definitely has been an eye-opening experience as to how I communicate with others and how I can be percieved in both personal and professional settings.
I aim to use reflective listening tactics and reinforce the platnium rule when speaking to others that may not always agree with me in both personal and professional settings. I am not perfect and it will take time but I aim to make strides to being a better person that listens to obtain a message and not to respond.
I wish I was more secure in public speaking and that is one of my goals for communication. I had my husband and a coworker take the quizzes and the results were a little different than expect. I found this to be a fun assignment to see how others view my communication skills. Thanks for sharing this week.
ReplyDeleteHi Chanel. This was a very interesting exercise. It's good practice to be assessed so we know how effective we are and where we can make improvements in our interactions and communication with others. I learned that I tend to use intimidating language and facial expressions that make people feel uneasy. Seems we have this in common. Being a communicator is a lifelong process that will change often as people and situations change. As long as we continue to hone our skills we will continue to be great communicators.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Thank you for your honesty and insight.
Hi Chanel,
ReplyDeleteGreat Post!!! Public speaking has never been my thing but I'm glad you really good at it. I'm really good at expressing myself. I feel like everybody can't be good at everything but as long as we try and communicate with others.
Dominique
Wow, anyone who says they're comfortable expressing themselves and speaking publicly has my full admiration. I have tried so hard through the years, but I am always a sweaty mess whenever I open my mouth. I do have a lot to say however, I feel I am better at expressing through other modes. I am so glad you have this outlet!
ReplyDeleteThat is great that you are a great public speaker and a true extrovert. I am just the opposite. I am not a public speaker. I freeze up when speaking in public and when I do speak I get tongue twisted and forget words.
ReplyDelete