Saturday, February 10, 2018

Being a better communicator

With me recently starting a new position as t a new company, my interactions with my new colleagues and peers have been great thus far. Everyone ia transparent, professional, and very personable in communicating with one another.

As I have continued this course, I have often reflected on my communication skills in my personal life and how I wish I knew then what I know now. In earlier posts of my blog, my child's father and ex-fiancee is iften referenced. He and I were engaged to be wed and unfortunately, we separated. Its been a rough few months of my breakup but I have been getting through. One thing I iwish he and I would have done was communicate more effectively and maybe it could have saved our relationship.

The 3 R's- Responsive, Reciprocal, and Respectful- were something we did not utilize in communicating and it wedged more distance between us. I would often give him tbe cold shoulder, yell and scream, or use vulgarities and he would either shut me out completely or lie. Neither one of us were really commited to communicating effectively because we subconsciously did not want to hear what the other was going to say from fear.

This course has taught me better forms of interacting with people while also teaching me how to use verbal and nonverbal cues to convey my message in a healthy way. My next relationship will definitely benefit from my enhanced communication efforts but I do sometimes dwell and reflect on how things would have been if we knew these skills then as opposed to now.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chanel. Effective communication and conflict resolution can be tricky because we all have our own opinions and thoughts about how things should be or how we want them and when anything upsets that we get upset and lash out. I am grateful for the conflict resolution skills and NVC guidelines we were introduced to this week. They are so very helpful and a good source we can rely on to achieve effective communication with whomever we come in contact with. I am sorry for what you've been going through but I just know you're going to be A-Ok after a while. I applaud your positive outlook and lessons learned about effective communication.

    Thank you for sharing your story and your honesty. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :)
    Thank you for being so open and willing to share such a personal story. When people are comfortable enough to open up we can learn so much from each other and feel a sense of camaraderie. I have many similar situations, and just like you, I feel as the years go by I grow so much stronger in the communication arena and relationships are more positively impacted by this. Here's to us continuing to challenge ourselves and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post and I feel that communication is the key to any type of conflict or situation. In your case, I am sure they will accept you for who you are make you feel comfortable as part of the team.

    ReplyDelete