Saturday, April 21, 2018

Diversity

To me, Diversity means a lot of things ranging from inclusivity to transparency. However, a clear reflection of diversity and what I believe ia represented in my daily life through my connections, networks, and friendships. As an educator, I have had the privledge to be surrounded by people thatrepresent a new culture unlike mine. Through these experiences, I have grown to appreciate and accept all of humanity and our diverse members despite mass media and dominant culture and stereotypes. The photo I created is a representation of the many souls I have met these past few years who have turned from colleagues to friends to family




2 comments:

  1. Chanel,

    I loved looking at your pictures. I can tell that diversity is a topic that is very close to your heart and it is proven by the people you surround yourself with. Your class looks lovely as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanel,

    Thank you for sharing your collage. It reminds me of what Rita Tenorio shared in Rethinking Early Childhood Education. She commented on the importance of recognizing that helping children learn to talk about issues of race was not optional, it was her responsibility. Based on your post, you not only agree, but also embrace this responsibility. I’d love to hear more about how you support young children in, not only discussing race, but also how they can promote the topic of racial discussions in future situations.

    Sherry

    Reference:

    Pelo, A. (Ed.) (2008). Rethinking early childhood education. Milwaukee, WI:

    Rethinking Schools.

    ReplyDelete