As I venture further into this course, I am combating my biases and -isms more to a point where I am forcing myaelf to ask critical and complex questions about my beliefs and opinions.
In the subject if same-sex relationships and bias in the classroom, I definitely feel strongly about the issue. Having equal representation of the families from all backgrounds is crucial to the overall development of a child. Representation leads to the validity and transparency of multi-family dynamics and units.
However, I am not a fan of promoting same-sex literature or activties inside the classroom. While we can teach children to respect all people and embody tolerance, bringing in such a controversial issue into the classroom can be problematic and raise concern to some families. I would not promote literature that had a ability to raise questions or form connections parents are not ready or willibg to discuss with their child. Emphasizing that that there are families that rather be the ones to lead the converstion of something so controversial and not be in a classroom lesson/setting.
With that, learned behaviors that promote and instill tolerance and respect are implemented so similar consequences would occur if verbal language was aggressive, threathening, and/or harmful in anyway to the children. Using derogatory remakes that breed prejudiced and srereorype would be immediately no longer recognized but also deconstructed so they losr power
Ultimately, having equal representation of ALL families is important but soIis the respect FOR FAMILIES to lend hand to one another.
Chanel,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your honesty regarding your hesitancy with having same sex-literature in your classroom. But I’d like to pose a friendly challenge for you. Do you think that racism is controversial? Do you think that discrimination is controversial? Do you think discussing different religions is controversial?
I ask these questions because for many, the answer to the above questions may be “no” –if we are talking about a race, discriminatory acts or religion that we are comfortable with (and or believe in). But what happens when we have different perspectives on these? Then are they controversial? If the answer is “yes” then do we shy away from helping children accept these differences? If we do, then isn’t all that we are learning about and discussing in class a mute point?
That’s not to say that supporting children and families around exposure and discussions of gay families is an easy thing to do (neither is the conversation about race, discrimination or religion)-but as educators, we need to help children and families recognize that there will be things in life that are not as we expect (or even agree with). If we continue to choose which of these we expose children and families to, then aren’t we by nature of our actions, choosing what realities we are preparing children for in their lives? Wouldn’t that be the same as the dominant culture picking and choosing which parts of history children should know, what religion we should practice, and what careers we should strive for? To me, it seems that they are eerily similar.
Chanel, Nice blog. Thanks or being honest. You and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to adding same sex literature to the classroom. I feel adding this type of literature allows children living in same sex relationship to make connections with real life experiences. I do support adding this type of literature because I remember how happy I was as little girl when my teacher finally added an African American doll to the dramatic play area. I finally had a doll that looked like me and the girls in my family.
ReplyDeleteChanel,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your candid post. I completely agree that equal representation of all diverse families is so important for children's development. They need to know what the world is made of and censoring issues or withholding vital information about social dynamics is not helping a child grow. I understand where you are coming from with the issue of promoting same-sex literature within classrooms because that is such a controversial matter. However, if educators don't promote this, then I worry that children will not be able to form their own perspectives and will continue to shadow whatever opinions their parents my have. I do think you have a great point though, we need to respect families and their wishes. Great post, Chanel.