Friday, September 22, 2017

Research paved the way for my community

Happy Friday loves!

After a long week of teaching 2 year olds, I am excited for some adult conversation that does not begin and end with "No thank you" or "that is not a good choice". Lol.

This week is all about ethics and research abd one thing I love are a good controversies. A topic of discussion is examples of how research has been utilized as a positive impact on society and/or community.

I utilized my political-science background for this because what immediately came to mind was Brown v. Board of Education - the historic, landmark decision that desegregated public school across the nation. Now, I know what you are thinking and probably wondering why and how Brown v Board has anything to do with research. On the contrary, its jurisprudence lies within the monumental research of Kenneth and Mamie Clark's infamous "Doll Test".

Fun fact: Brown v Board was almost tossed out due to a lack of substantial evidence that supported the claim that segregated schooling was a violation of basic human rights and imposed harm to children of color. It wasn't until the Clark's conducted their doll test when The United States Supreme Court had to overturn the Plessy v Ferguson Decision of "Seperate but Equal" due to the proufound psychological effects found in the segregation children based on color. 👊👊👊🙌🙌🙌 (Thank you Professor McKenzie at University of Illinois at Chicago for giving me this information years ago during undergrad during my Law and Public Policy course 😘😘)

The court found that the research of The Clarks validated the claims that children of color would receive the harmful physical and psychological effects of segregation due to the seperate but equal legislation. The foll test concluded that Black children found themselves not only inferior to white children but viewed themselves as unequivocally comparable to white children in any degree. Buzz words such as "ugly", "bad", "mean" were used to describe themselves as "nice" "beautiful" and "kind" were used to describe the white dolls.

Basically, we have desegregated school (by law) due to research of two proud African American. *drops mic*



Bergner, G. (2009). Black children, White preference: Brown v. Board, the doll tests, and the politics of self-esteem. American Quarterly61(2), 299-332.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! You have to give credit when its due, that is awesome never heard about this. I have to read more about this doll test. I love how I can feel your ambition in your post you are going to do great in this field!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chanel. I never knew about this fun fact. You can really find out a lot of information by researching. Thank you for bringing this information to light. This is a very good example of a positive outcome for research. Thanks to the groundbreaking research of Kenneth and Mamie Clark and their infamous "doll test" we gained some great insight into the effects of segregated schooling. It has been very effective in schools being more integrated now even though there's still more work to be done.

    Great post. Very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Brown vs. the Board but the doll test was new to me. I am going to research that and look-up more information on this. Thank you for sharing. I know this has been said but it is so important that all children be treated the same no matter skin color or disabilities. Researches are conducting more studies how this effects children now and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chanel,
    Thank you for sharing. I love that you used your political science background and chose to discuss the Brown vs. The board of Education. I have not heard of the doll test before so I am going to look into that some more. Thank you for expanding my knowledge and bringing something new to my attention.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chanel,
    This is a very inspiring post... It was very interesting reading and learning about the different research projects that they do on children like the doll test which I've never heard of. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
    Great Post!!!
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post I never heard of this study. It is amazing that we lived so closed minded. I am going to view more about this study and look for more studies that helped support desegregation. Thank you for sharing this with us

    ReplyDelete