Thursday, September 14, 2017

So....I think I want my PhD now....

Happy Thursday friends!

I am completing my blog a little early because I have a jammed pack weekend coming up and I want my time free.

With a new semester in full force, I find myself not only personally challeneged with this course but also professionally challenged. This is the first course at Walden where I am pushing beyond my limits and I'm impressed. Kudos to Walden 👊🙌🙌🙌

On another note, we have a research assignment that we are prepping for and it has officially sealed my ambitions on obtaining a PhD. I intend to enroll at Northwestern University in Chicago (my hometown) and obtain my PhD. in Human Development and Social Policy. I am HIGHLY intrigued by how social/public policy affects the overall development of a child.

Which leads me to my research subject of studying how Racisim and Systematic Oppression is the premise to the decreased life span of African-American youth. As a black woman, I know nothing but stress, struggle, poor life decisions, and broken homes/community. It is the unfortunate reality and truth to many of our inner-city African Americans in Urban communities.
Studying urban poverty by looking at social attitudes and policy is a unique way to analyze how these have detrimental, long term effects on the cognitive develooment of Black children as well as their Long term health.

When I heard stress kills, I thought it was a metaphor. No, it LITERALLY KILLS. Research has shown that stress literally contributes to the deterioration of the human DNA through aging of cells (Needham, 2012).  Also, Black women are 2x more likely to experience premature birth, low birth weight, and/or fetal death due to factors of socioeconomic stress (Hogue, 2005).

As a mother that lost her son due to premature delivery, this hits home. I want to drive deeper into this subject and understand more of the root to offer a viable solution.

Resources for your consideration:

Hogue, C. J. R., & Bremner, J. D. (2005). Stress model for research into preterm delivery among black women. American journal of obstetrics and gynecology192(5), S47-S55.

Needham, B. L., Fernandez, J. R., Lin, J., Epel, E. S., & Blackburn, E. H. (2012). Socioeconomic status and cell aging in children. Social science & medicine74(12), 1948-1951.

8 comments:

  1. Chanel,

    It seems that every quarter we are in the same blog groups, which I know is very a great reason. I love reading your blogs and as always you come through. The topic that you chose is one that I and my entire family can relate to because we are all African-American. But not only do we suffer, all minorities suffer and it is sad to see that in this, we still have not learned to fully come together as one. Love the topic and the resources, very influential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your story is very touching. I am sorry for your loss. I feel many of feel the same as you and about stress. Stress caused many issues that relates to poor health in our-self and our family. Our program partners with a local company called EICS Early Interventions and Child Services that help child and families deal with stress and other mental health issues. I look forward to following your journal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chanel. This is an excellent topic that needs to get the proper attention minorities need. One of the things you said that really touched my heart is the loss of your son. I feel your pain as I have lost two children because of stress, anxiety and depression that lead to poor health causing my loss. I am deeply sorry for your loss. This is one of the main reasons I decided to go into this very important field.

    Your words are very inspiring and I appreciate you sharing your personal research journey. Thank you also for the resources you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to seeing Dr. in front of your name. I really enjoyed your post you speak with enthusiasm and I know you will do great in this class and life in general. Minorities will always be a touchy subject and I thinks its great you want to learn more about that subject, I truly look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chanel,
    Great topic!! I look forward to hearing more about this topic as we progress through this course. And bravo to you on wanting to complete your Ph.D. I think that is fantastic! More power to you! I am sure you will do many great things in this life!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/stress-and-pregnancy.aspx I found this link thay may help support your research

    Good luck in your journey for a PHD. I applaud you. I am a mother of 3 boys I understand the time constraints and it is a constant challenge to stay on task.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your topic of choice. Sorry to hear of your loss. I cant wait to keep up to date on your research with this, i worry myself so much I am truly concerned for myself and my own stress level. Good luck in the course!

    ReplyDelete