I can definitely say that I "code switch" my communication with different cultures and communities. As a Black woman, I identify with the Black culture and community and adpat my behavior to the accepted cultural mannerisms and behavior for given situations. I tend to uae low-language, slang, profanity and illustrators that are very eccentric and culturally appropriate to my background.
However, how I communicate with members of my community is much different than my communication with other cultures. When I code switch with other cultures, I use "proper english" or high language, limited illustrators, and generally acceptablel cultural illustrators that are not percieved as aggressive or too eccentric. As an African-American, I am constantly trying to remain cognizant of how I portray myself on the general public. With many stereotypes that are portrayed through the media of African-Americans, I definitely do my best to not live up to thise perceptions through my behavior in public where I am not familiar.
I find it easier to communicate with other minorities, however, due to unspoken feelings of being the "other" in Eurocentric culture and the conversations are more lax, playful, and personal. When talking to more White Americans, the need to be more formal and politically correct is apparent in my verbal and nonverbal cues and language.
Hi Chanel. I would say that most of us code switch to meet the need of whomever we are talking with in the moment. What amazes me is that there are some who talk the same way no matter who they're talking to. Those who engage in hatespeech or who are just generally uncooperative make it difficult to have effective communication. I also find it easier to communicate and identify with those who are similar to myself in culture and community, mannerisms and behaviors.
ReplyDeleteWith continued education and gaining knowledge on effective communication, we'll all be even greater conversationalists and communicators.
Great post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights.
Chanel I feel the same way and feel more comfortable with people in my culture. Even within my culture I feel more comfortable in different groups. When I am with close friends I feel I let my guard down a little more than I would in other groups. I think the bottom line it is about the reason is because we know our close friends so well. One of the tools to more effective communication among cultures is asking questions to get to know the other cultures. Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts this week.
ReplyDelete