Earlier this week I begam watching "Friends". I have never been a fan if the popular show until recently and figured with all their drama and hilarious adventures, watching "Friends" to evaluate the communication and nonverbal cues would be interesting.
Watching the show without the sound on was a bit weird and aside from taking me in a time warp to the age of silent movies, it was a bit of a challenge to really understand what they were saying EXACTLY but due their facial expressions, mannerisms, hand gestures, and location of scenes, I could infer whether the situation was serious or not. The nonverbal codes, emblems, and intermediacy assisted in me deciphering information as to which character had a role in what scene.
With the volume back on, I was actually impressed with myself that I was relatively correct. This was the episode where Racheal found out Joey cheated on her when they were on a break and everyone was in Monica's bedroom eavsdropping. There was a lot of euphemisms, connotation, slang, etc (low language). A lot of the language was fueled by emotion and not semantics. It was interesting that although I was not spot on on the precise language utilized but how each situation based on the nonverbal cues was emotionally driven and who played roles of importance on each scene.
Hi Chanel. I found "Friends" humorous and entertaining. It would be interesting to try and figure out what's going on without sound and read facial expressions, body and other gestures. Sounds like you had a good experience figuring things out. I found that it's not always easy to read people and I found this exercise to be helpful. I learned that my communication skills need work.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Thank you for sharing.
You picked a good episode to watch. I am wondering could you tell that Ross and Rachel were fighting? All the characters in that show are very expressive. I could quote that show without the sound on that is sad. LOL Joey the one who started eating the wax is very expressive. I watched Big Bang Theory because I had never watched it before and I know a lot of people who do. Thanks for sharing your experience.
ReplyDeleteHaha! Friends is a fun choice for this assignment. I love that show, and, just like Christina, I could probably quote the entire episode :) I like how you said it was more emotion driven than precise language, that totally sums it up! I do agree that since it's a comedy and a sitcom the actors are definitely more expressive with their faces and bodies, which is a plus.
ReplyDeleteHi Chanel,
ReplyDeleteGreat Post!!!!! I've never seen Friends but from what I'm reading it sound like an awesome show. As they say communication is the best policy I'm guessing from what you wrote about the show has a lot of communication opportunities.
Dominique