Happy New Year and welcome to the start of a new semester!
The question posed this week asked who would I like to emulate aa far as being a great communicator and why. This question is simple and the person that immediately came to mind was my uncle, Henry Taylor. My uncle is the president of a major health organization in Illinois and well-known throughout health care within the midwest. For over 20 years, my uncle had dedicated his life's work to bringing underserved communities of color access to affordable, quality health care.
With my uncle being one of the only few administrators of color on staff, there have been personal and professional challenges that he has encountered that has lead him to not only grow professionally but personally as well. One thing he has learned is to communicate effectively will all sorts of audiences whether it be a diagruntled patient or a corporate stakeholder. My uncle uses reflective listening-repeating what the other person says as an affirmative or a question/statement. He also is conscious of his body language, tone, and environment to which he is speaking to his audience-his main priority making sure his message is clear and delivered in a amicable way that is percieved in a safe enviornment that is non-threatening. My uncle also uses various forms of exchange where it is not always a transactionary dialouge or internal but a dialouge that is ankle to have multiple viewpoints and perspectives that lend hand to decison making.
Overall, my uncle is one of the best communicators I know. Personally, I try to embody those traits in my personal and professional life to better convey my thoughts and relay more than just message but a perspective that has the ability to inspire and persuade.
Hello Chanel. Your uncle sounds like a very good communicator to which I would even like to follow after myself. It is important when communicating to get our point across but it is equally important to listen, hear and understand what is being conveyed to us. You have a great role model in your uncle.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your thoughts.
I appreciate you explaining how your uncle manages communication with disgruntled people. I am so intimidated by confrontation. I will do everything in my power to avoid it. I respect and admire that he is able to navigate effective communication with all types of people and situations. You are lucky to have such a role model!
ReplyDeleteLove your blog site. Purple is my favorite color. I loved to hear about the positives in people and how they have a passion for what they do. Being able to handle confrontational individuals and the drama that it brings is an example of a great communicator. Enjoyed your post!!
ReplyDeleteGreat Post Chanel!!!! I'm so glad that your uncle had such a positive influence on you. Your uncle is doing a lot of good things for people and trying to make a better life for them. I know based on what you've said that your uncle has amazing communication skills. It takes someone who is able to listen and know how to speak to people to get there point across to other people.
ReplyDeleteDominique