Friday, December 15, 2017

New Family

I wanted to challenge myself with this week's blog post when use the scenario given as a way to stimulate and challenge me personally and professionally.

My emmergrating child's country of orgin would be Iran. I chose thos country intentionally to be able to learn about the country in depth and breaknstigma and stereotypes that surround the muslim culture.

I would integrate lessons that discuss how we are all different and come from unique places that have unique customs and traditions. I would then structure lessons and activities around different countries, including Iran, for students to be able to learn more about that particular part of the world and the people in it. I would, finally, have an activity that would bring in the families of my students to take part in an afternoon activity that facilitates conversations about diversity within the child's home and with the parents amongst other parents in the clasroom; bringing in the whole child aspect by also narrowing in on tbe famiky dynamics.

These strategies wouod hopefully give that child and their family peace of mind in knowing that although they are in unfamiliar territory, they are surrounded my a support system and network that embraces racial, religious, and cultural diversity. This would then encourage the child to inergrate more naturally into the classroom and not feel hesitant to join in with other students

2 comments:

  1. Dear Chanel,
    I love that you chose a country that although you are not familiar with you have a stereotyped idea about it. Nowadays, who doesn't, right? I see it as a great opportunity for all involved to learn about each other and celebrate rich cultural differences. Bringing families together is an amazing idea and will help them become part of the community. It will also help other families dispel their assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chanel,
    I think your suggestions, for preparing to have a child from another country in your classroom, are great! Integrating diversity throughout your lesson plans is a great way to start! Also, incorporating the child's family in to an activity in the classroom is a great way to break the ice. I think this child would feel very supported and safe in your classroom. Thanks for sharing!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete