Saturday, December 9, 2017

Experience

This week is all about reflecting on an experience where there was an example if bias or prejudice. My experience for Black Friday was definitely something that made me feel less than an equal because of classism and racism.

However, another experience was where I was a bystander in McDonalds and an irate white gentleman was yelling profanities and racial slurs to a Mexican immigrant woman because her limited English. This was about 3 years ago on Chicago ave and State in the heart of downtown Chicago and it was startling how hardly anyone spoke up. At first I didn't either because it wasnt my fight but it made me uncomfortable. I knew it felt horrible to be on the other end for the young woman and as a Black woman I coukd definitely relate.

I finally spoke up and told him he shouldn't be so mean to her because she is trying and he yelled for me to go back to my country. Now I was pissed and cursed him to hell. Point is, it made me feel like despite my American lineage and ancestral blood herr in America, I am always seen as an outsider and never fully "American" because I am black. It also is uncomfortable that white people feel the need to claim stolen land as theirs and feel entitled to claim ownership over literally everything.

What was even more baffling was that hardly anyone spoke up. Not one other person outside of another Black guy defended me or the young lady. There were mean stares towards him and side conversations about how nasty he was but no one spoke up. And almost everyone waiting in line with me (quite a bit of people) were white. What needs to change is complacency with racism and bigotry. What needs to change are white people's attitudes towards confronting racists in their community and being a goddamn ally. Most importantly, what needs to change are our hearts towards those not like us.

Until then, we are destined to be at war with one another.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I commend you for standing up for others. It is not easy to do so but it is definitely the right thing to do, always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with your statements all to many times I find that it is the "non-dominant society", african americans and those alike, that are subjected to the hateful words that give us no respect and try and make us fearful. I am grateful that there are people like you who stand up for what is right regardless of circumstances. I believe if everyone expressed what made them diverse and heard something bad about their diversity they would be understanding of those from a diverse community, it seems as everyone grew up with a golden spoon in their mouth. Which I know can not be the truth, some individuals need to think twice about the simplest "trife" they have experienced in life to gain a better understanding of accepting those in their community.

    ReplyDelete