It has been a great course and I have learned so much from my esteemed colleagues and Dr. Parrish as a result about research and how they benefit the early childhood field. All of the input and discussions that centered around our research topics have given me a broader understanding to how deeply invested research is in relation to the classroom.
If my simulation was to be carried out, I believe it would have an impact on how legislation is created and enacted towards communities of color-specifically African-American communities. Unfortunately, socioeconomic status and race are almost synonymous when they should not be. Truth is. There is an overwhelming wealthbgap that corresponds with race and class. Low-income African-American families and their children would be the primary benefactors but so would the general public in the realization of their attitudes to microaggressive racist tactics and ideology.
This directly impacts the early childhood community because our most vulnerable minds come from a community and society that is already set up to disparage them. Bynfully understanding how socially constructed and politically instituted systems of power disenfranchise these children from birth, it would make a huge impact on how we approach and teach these children.
I am currently exploring attending Northwestern University Fall of 2018 to obtain my PhD. in Education Policy and Child Development. If accepted, I plan to enact my simulation in real life in hopes of using this information to bring change to Chicago politics.
It's been a great 8 weeks! Let's finish the semester strong! #AlmostThere
I love your topic and I believe your wealth of knowledge can help benefit many people. I wish you well in your journey.
ReplyDeleteHi Chanel,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you about our children and their vulnerable minds. We need to make a positive impact in these children's lives so that they can look up to us this way they don't feel like they don't have to follow what their peers do.
Great Post!!!
Dominique
I agree, those from cultural backgrounds have difficulty succeeding in educational backgrounds. We as early childhood educators need to try and make strides and all areas of development for those involved in early childhood education.
ReplyDeleteI agree that socioeconomic status and race should not by synonymous. I think that your research simulation topic is a great idea to show people that these are not one in the same. I think that all children and the public could benefit if your research effected how legislation is created and carried out. It’s so great that you have future plans to continue on and achieve your PhD. Good Luck!
ReplyDelete