Happy Friday loves!
This week I challenged myself to be critical this week during this week's blog assisngment and found out I was pleasantly surprised. I chose http://www.eecera.org/ to analyze and comb through their website. What I found was surprising and enlightening to say the least.
For starters, I enjoyed learning that they has Special Interest Groups nthatbwete dedicated towards researching a specific subject within the vast field of early childhood. I enjoyed that component due to the understanding that early childhood education is more than just the classroom experience but also the whole"child experience from their community to their home life.
A special interest group I found noteworthy was one where it highlighted holistic well-being of a child and how policy can best serve children in that aspect. It asked critical questions about whatis defined as well-being, how can it be measured, and if professionals across various fields define it the same; if not, how can legislation be inclusive of all perspectives. This is critical when discussing ECE and child development because the socioemotional components of education are often trivialized or forgotten and are not focused on. A child's emotional and mental well-being and health is just as important as their physical.
Another special interest group was one where it was dedicated to the inclusion and recruitment of male teachers on a female dominated field. With education being a historically female dominated profession, the diversifying of the workforce in gender is being investigated to show not only the children that there is male presence in education but deconstruct the stigma of males in education. I, also, found this important and beneficial to child development due to how American culture is nlbending towards more progressive learning practices that encompass all people from walks of life. This is necessary if we want a more reflective workforce to leave a more positive impression on our children.
These developments have me insight into the future of how we are viewing education and taking in consideration deliberate practices to become more tolerant to whole-chikd development as well as becoming.more reflective in our demographic whennit comes to teachers.
Wow I never heard a child being exposed to holistic healing,I think that it a great method. Pharmacueticals drugs offer so many side affects I think this will be a great approach. Yes there are not many male teachers, which is unfortunate I think positive male figures can go along way in the class room,
ReplyDeleteIntroducing children to the different side of teaching, the side that includes males, will really help them to understand that just as women can do some men jobs, men can do some women jobs, without being degraded or mocked. I totally agree with your statement that it is very important that we incorporate these actions into our work force in order to have a positive impression on our kids.
ReplyDeleteHi Chanel. I found this website/organization to be quite interesting as well. Holistic healing is a great method as opposed to using drugs when children display challenging behavior. This organization is a great resource for anyone who is interested in conducting their own research as they offer guidance in getting published, getting their research read, and promoting their article. They also offer so much information that is relevant to us as early childhood educators that we can utilize to improve our own early education programming. Additionally, I am pleased that they are seriously looking into the issue of needing more male teachers. Male role models are just as important in the lives or our children and we need more of them for sure.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Thank you for sharing.
I love the whole child aspect from home to school. I feel this is important to child and parent. I like you would like to see more male teachers in the early childhood field. In our small rural town when a male figure comes into the classroom they love to see him. This is a parent that volunteer in his little girls room and the children love for him to build in the block area or read a story.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I see more and more men entering into the education work force. I do feel that children respond well to male figures in the classroom. I have a male counterpart in my preschool class and the children love him. He is such an asset to our program.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteHi Chanel,
It is great that the EECERA has a special interest group that is dedicated to the holistic well-being of the child as well. I think that it is really important to not only focus on their physical well-being but their emotional and mental well-being as well. I think that often people think that young children are too young to have emotional or mental issues but I know that we as educators know that to not be true. I think that the general public needs more education on that topic.
Great Post!!!! I love that they have a component about the whole child, I know that the classroom experience is an important component it not the only component. We need to study the child in different environments to see how they respond to certain things.
ReplyDeleteDominique