I hope everyone had a great week. My week could have been better but I'm blessed to wake up and see another morning so I am nit too shabby.
With this week being a discussion about education and standards, I thought it be appropriate to discuss the current political climate in my home, Chicago, Illinois.
*Drum roll* Allow me to introduce Illinois' latest disaster for equitable school funding- Senate Bill 1. There is a short video explaining logistics below
SB1 is a new bill introduced that our loveky governor endorses that restructures our educational funding model. Currently, Illinois ranks dead last in equitable school funding and SB1 is only making matters worse. *gasps* Shocker. -___-
As much as I love my city, my home town was built on racisim and outside of Chicago, you might as well consider it Hicksville because they literally HATE anything not drenched with vannila ice-cream, marshmallows, and mayo if you catch my drift.
Key points of SB1 include:
*shifting from a baseline funding model to an evidence based model
*creating four (4) tiers that dictate funding districts to the most "needy" schools
*taking in consideration of ALL funding options for ALL school districts
Now if you were me prior to research, you would say its not so bad. I'm a liberal of course but I am logical. But further research, I discovered that this is absolutely biased and (pardon my language) bullshyt of legislation.
So not only is Illinois the LEAST EQUITABLE EDUCATIONALLY FUNDED STATE IN THE COUNTRY, our political climate aims to make matters worse by furthering the education funding gap between low income students2 and students of wealthier districts.
Since race and economics are almost synonymous, you can only guess who gets the short end of the stick. Not only can wealthier districts lower their property taxes to meet minimums that make them eligible for state finding (a luxury
Kids from the south side wish we could afford) but it also takes ALL "forms of eligible funding" into consideration for dispersing state funding- *cough* block grants * cough* teacher pension *cough* Title 1 funds.
The kicker is that lower income students are put into smaller classroom sizes to improve academic performance. What this funding model sneaks in are terms of "Adequacy Levels". Meaning simply, funding will be given to school districts that have lower amounts of adequacy met. So if you already take grants and teacher pensions into funding account for lower income school children, AND decide to use their smaller classrom size as factors to display performance, then of course they won't qualify for the most funding!
In fact, coupled with property taxes and "other forms of eligible funding", these power income districts seem to be capable of "providing quality education". -____-
Quality education is coupled with equity because they go hand in hand. You cannot give 81 cents to every black and brown kids in Chicago for every dollar you give a white student and tell them to succeed. On top of that, you want to give wealthier districts more money and the OPTION to lower their gosh darn taxes in order to QUALIFY for state aide?
Allow me to colloquialy express my concern with: "Where they do dat at?" 😒😒😒😒
How can we discuss quality education when we can't even fund our schools and pay our teachers a suitable wage?! How can we as Illinois discuss equity when property taxes in itself are determinants to 55% of the school funding model- putting Black and Brown students at a disadvantage ALREADY based on their zip code?
To answer the question of my professional goals and aspirations, I ansewer simply:
Graduate 2018 with this Masters in Early Childhood Education.
2020: Run for public office
Chanel West for Chicago Public Schools Board of Education 😎
Hi Chanel:
ReplyDeleteThank you for always educating and inspiring me each week. I enjoyed reading your Blog and can definitely see you running for public office in 2020. I know that you are going to make a positive impact on the lives of children and families, ensuring high quality and equal access in early childhood care and education.