Thursday, August 10, 2017

Exploring NBCDI

Hello loves!

Happt Thursday! I am completing my blog a little early because this weekend is Chicago's "Slut Walk" and I will be very active in that march and activities. As a survivor of sexual assault, it is imperative I make my voice heard and reclaim myself and feminine sexuality.

On another note, this week are are exploring our websites we chose earlier in the semester. I chose the National Black Child Development Institute (NBCDI) and have fell in love with the organization.

NBCDI focuses solely on the advancement if the overall well-being of African-Americans and their children. African-American are in a distadvantage due to being in social and political systems that perpetuate poverty and classisim. As we know, the effects if poverty creates toxic stress, emotional deregulation, delayed cognitive and psychosocial development, as well as serves as a barrier perpetuates generational poverty.

NBCDI uses its partnerships with local, state, and federal programs to bring knowkedge and social services to African-American communties while also focusing on strengthening African-American families. Upon exploration, a bulk if their efforts is into strengthening perception and image of Black children-especially Black males.

Initiatives were brought forth on how to better involve Black males into the academic enviornment and undo the desensitization of the Black male body and image. Efforts to increase positive interaction and discipline, academic curriculum that encourages critical thinking, as well as the projection of goals that push beyond stereotypical inclined achievement are just a few of thise goals.

Also, efforts to take control of the narrative and image of the Black family has been executed in the form of community workshops open for all backgrounds while also the implementation of a calender. The calendar is photographs of African-American families that are submitted by members of their network- prltraying happy children, two-parent households, and variations of the African diaspora.

Lastly, their annual conference is next month in Atlanta, Georgia; featuring key note speakers such as Iyana Vanzant while discussing issues within policy, health/nutrition, family, educstion, and advocacy that affect the African American family and child in panels and seminar.

Overall, the NBCDI website is filled with new information that gives me insight into how active organizations are within the Black community to better impact our communities and alleviate these pressing issues.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad that you wrote about the NCBDI. I love their mission and what they stand for, they are truly dedicated to helping Black children succeed and their families. Black families are unfamiliar with the website, and as advocates and educators it is our duty to help them receive the help they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chanel,
      First, thank you for making your voice heard this weekend, your presence will impact more women then you will ever know! Also, after reading your post, I started searching through the sight in hopes of finding a connection to Ohio, which I did find one, as I believe the NBCDI could offer a wealth of guidance to myself as to how my Department can best support their driving efforts in my county.
      Thank you for your post, your passion for their efforts and vision can be felt through your words.
      Lynnette

      Delete
  2. Hi Chanel!
    What an excellent and heart-felt post! Kudos to you for participating in such a significant and meaningful cause such as, giving survivors of sexual assault a voice. I also think NBCDI is a great organization to learn more about because they represent such a critical issue in our nation, African Americans not being able to break many different barriers due to social constructions and perpetual poverty. This is an issue that needs to stop being placed on the back burner and I am so glad you are raising awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chanel, I enjoyed reading your blog. I also found this organization purpose wonderful. Our African American families have to come together to make a difference in our community. A person's skin color and income should not hinder us from obtaining quality education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chanel:
    Thank you for sharing your some of your story with us. I am inspired by your enthusiasm. You are amazing. Also, thank you for the information you shared from the NBCDI website. I too am exploring that website and found great information as well.
    Kind Regards,
    La Neisha Murphy-Carter

    ReplyDelete